Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Never Say Never Whatever You Do...

...because more times than not you will eat your words! I told myself after we got rid of the 7th dog (yes SEVENTH...I know people, it's a little extreme, but don't judge) we owned that I would NEVER be a dog owner again. I love, love, love dogs...but I do not love OWNING dogs. It's too stressful and overwhelming for me. 3 kids and a husband is enough for my plate! However, after Nathan's mom passed away, we had no choice but to take in her dog Sophie. Sophie is a Westie that is around 18 months old. I really have no idea when she was born or how old she is exactly, but we guestimated that this was about right. When I picked Sophie up from the vet after being groomed and given her vaccinations I brought home a seemingly quiet and calm animal that appeared to be house trained. I thought to myself that even though I didn't want this dog, she might not be so bad. I have decided after her 4 weeks with us that dear Sophie (detect the sarcasm here?) was suffering from PTSD. It had to be hard for Sohpie to see her mother one day and then never see her again. And consequently to be taken to live with 3...um, spirited, wild things. She was a near perfect dog those first 2 weeks, only urinating in the house twice and pooing once, never barking and mostly lying around the house sleeping. She did try to make an escape from this 3 ring circus after 6 days, when she escaped out the front door when I opened it for the neighbor kid. She was gone all night long and into the next day when someone picked her up and took her to the animal shelter. Thank goodness for honest people. Nathan was beside himself when she ran away. Well while she was gone those near 24 hours, Sophie must have gotten counseling of some sort from a neighbor dog, because she is over her PTSD and is a very energetic and stubborn yet smart dog with a spunky attitude and an ear-splitting bark that pierces my soul. Oh yeah, and she chews furniture too. To say that I was less than thrilled about becoming a dog owner again would be the understatement of the year, but I'm trying to make the best of it seeing as it means so much to Nathan and Chandler to have her here. Will loves her too, sharing his food with her, kisses and playing under the kitchen table together like old pals. Sophie makes the 6th Dickinson in the house...come on by sometime if ya need some entertainment.
Sophie chillin' under the backyard hammock.
Lickin' her chops after stealing some food from Will, I'm sure. She likes him since he's closest to the ground and he really doesn't mind sharing his food with her.

This dog is SUPER fast. I highly underestimated her speed.

She's pretty cute, I will give her that. I wish I could keep the hair around her mouth white.

Here she is dreaming of escaping the madness she calls home.



1 comment:

AFBear said...

Oh what a pretty dog! Please don't give her up. You have to fight through it. Westies are super smart. They have to have lots of exercise and mental activity. So you should teach the kids to play catch, sit, down, things like that when they're playing. Good luck. Kim
p.s. Not that I know a ton, but just a few tips if you're looking for help.