Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A WICKED Trip

I have been in love with the musical Wicked for a while now. I've been wanting to see this show for sooooo long. On August 31 I finally got my wish. Nathan and I headed down south to Austin Saturday morning. I LOVE road trips. I especially love road trips when it's warm and sunny out. It's great for picture taking.
Carl's Corner, home of Willie's Place. We didn't stop for any bio-fuel though.
We got to Austin late afternoon and checked into our hotel at the newly renovated Hyatt in Downtown. It was so pretty and had an open patio outside our room with a great view of the city! We rested for a bit and then got ready to go out and have some fun.
We were right on the lake and the Congress St bridge where all the bats fly out from under every night. We walked over and took our spot on the grassy knoll with all the other bat spectators.I'm not super familiar with Austin and its traditions, but while we were waiting for the bats this wild pillow fight broke out. I'm not sure if this pillow fight is a normal occurance or if we just got lucky, but it was funny to watch. Nathan and I wished we had brought our own pillows.
The bats!
After we saw the bats, we went out to eat dinner at Trudy's for some stuffed avacado! It proved to be too spicy for my liking but it was nice to try it. After dinner we drove to the Capitol to take pictures. Then we retired to the hotel to rest up for our big day!
I saw this wall on the way to our hotel. I love stuff like this. I wish I could find more cool picture backdrops like this in Dallas.
On Sunday we spent the day walking around Downtown taking advantage of the cool photo ops there. I've fallen in love with this city! I want to move there just for all the cool things to see! We ate some awesome pizza and the most delicious Italian sandwich at Cazolli's, a pizzeria downtown. The owner was totally nice and the place was sparkling clean...what more can you ask for?!? We walked and walked and walked. I felt like a pioneer, haha. It was such an awesome afternoon before an even awesomer evening...

At 6:30 we left the hotel to head over to Bass Concert Hall so we could get good parking and have time to take pictures and buy souveniers for WICKED!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe that I was finally there!
I was so excited for this night! I was excited about the show, I was excited to share it with Nathan, I was excited about my pretty new dress, I was excited that it was in Austin which allowed us to have a weekend getaway making it all the more fun! I was just totally stoked.
When we sat down I noticed all kinds of people taking pictures inside even though the signs on the door said not to. Since others were taking pics I thought those signs just meant no photography during the show. Apparently it meant no photography AT ALL, because after snapping this pic and then a pic of Nathan and I in our seats, I was sternly informed that I should NOT be taking pictures and to please DELETE whatever I photographed. Well I didn't. I knew there were tons of other people who weren't deleting theirs so why should I delete mine?!? I just wanted it for my own memories anyway. :)
That weekend was one awesome time. I couldn't stop thinking about it for days afterward. I wished that I lived in a city where Wicked played year round because I would seriously go all the time! I finally saw Wicked. My life is complete. :)

4 comments:

Rethsey said...

Wicked sounds like a blast to see! I'm so happy to hear about you and Nathan!

stef j. said...

what i wouldn't give to have had a large goose down, with little tears hear and there, and a bottle of honey.

i would've OWNED that pillow fight.

caroline said...

I'm so happy to hear that you and Nathan are working things out. We've been thinking of you guys lately. It was a little over a year ago that you guys came down to visit. We will continue to keep you guys in our prayers. We too LOVE Austin (we're obviously biased)- next time you guys are in town you'll have to stop by and say hi (or hang out and play with us:)
What an awesome getaway!great pics!

ps- the pillow fight during the bats is NOT the norm, we go every year (sometimes more than once) and that's NEVER happened. you guys got lucky :)

Sarah said...

I loved Wicked. Yay for night's out with the hubby. Glad to hear you're working through things.