I never had time to blog about this little event. Kennedy had a Christmas party and sock exchange in her ballet class. We had to take 1 pair of new socks, so I got a 3 pack at Target and asked Kennedy which one she wanted to take for the exchange. She picked the ones with flowers because they were the prettiest. That should have been my red flag right there to leave those socks at home and take one of the other 2 pairs that she didn't like as well. Why was I so naive to think that a 3 and 1/2 year old would understand what a gift exchange was? I did let her know that she was taking those socks to the party but that she would come home with a different pair. I tried to make it sound all exciting but really who was I kidding? My daughter was taking some socks that she liked to a party where some other girl (or thief in Kennedy's mind!) was going to take them home! This was a recipe for disaster! After the girls did their little dance to Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer they ate some snacks and then drew numbers for the gift exhange, excuse me, sock stealing party. Kennedy kept telling everyone how she brought the pink package with penguins on it. So when it was Alex's turn to pick her gift, she chose the pink pacakge with penguins on it. DUH, it was the cutest package there! Kennedy told Alex that the pink package was hers but Alex wasn't hearing it. And Kennedy proceeded to throw one of the biggest fits of all time. I was there in this small little room Chandler and Will in tow, parents all around (and mirrors too so there was no way you could miss what was going on!) while Kennedy is having a major meltdown over Alex choosing the socks she brought. Alex's mom tried to get Alex to give the socks to Kennedy but clearly that wasn't going to happen. And it was okay, heck, Alex understood the rules and she wasn't giving away those cute little brown and green socks with flowers on them. To make that known she went ahead and put them on right there in the class! It was really pretty funny to watch these 3 and 4 year olds in action, you know these tiny women being so strong-willed, willing to do whatever it took to keep what they knew was theirs. Kennedy never did calm down, I had to carry her out of the place crying even after I promised to go to Target the next day and buy her some socks just like the ones she had to give away. And I did feel badly for Kennedy because she ended up with a pair of Hannah Montana socks that could have probably fit me and went all the way up to her thighs. There's a picture below, just wait. :) So it was an interesting evening, one of those mom memories that you'll never forget.
















THE socks...fabulous aren't they?










9 comments:
Was that at Fantasia? I remember doing that with Emily and she wasn't too thrilled about giving away the socks she brought either. Pretty funny!
omg i love all the pics! lovely!
OH I love it!! I am laughing!!!! Yeah, Regan would have totaly been the sock theif!wink!!!! BIG HUGS!
Kennedy next time take the girl down......they were yours (IN MIND OF COURSE)! Gift exchanges you always get screwed. You should post them up in your room as your title of liberty on gift exchanges. Write on them "HELL NO TO GIFT EXCHANGES!"
Reminds me of Paiges 1st grade gift exchange. Each child was suppose to bring a book. 1st-2nd grade level reading...Paige got the freakin book "Pat the Bunny!" What age is that book...freakin 6-9 mos. Must have been one of my Indian neighbors making a point that their kid is smarter than others and wanted to make sure everyone knew that was their opinion on how far advanced they were in their reading...total comparison....WOW where did that anger come from? Man, maybe I need to run around the block to cool off.
Can I borrow her socks? She is so cute in her little outfit.
That is too funny . . . I love it! I love peeking into the world of girls -- now that I have a little one! So much to look forward to!
haha! well told! that is so hilarious, but of course not funny at the time.
i can SO imagine it. oh, the joys of parenthood.
and hannah montana has never looked so flattering! :)
ps. your pics look great!
oh that was too funny!! I can just imagine it all too well... 4 year old girls...love it! I kind of like the Hannah Montana leggings :)-
I'm storing this in my vault so I can remember when the time comes for my kids...4 year olds don't understand gift exchanges. Done! Thanks for the story!
Post a Comment