Monday, March 9, 2009

Honesty Is The Best Policy

Here's a story for ya...actually 2 stories.
Story #1: I went to Wal-Mart on a Sunday (so bad I know, don't judge me) to get some cookies for a baptism. See I was supposed to make 2 dozen cupcakes but I had been out of town that weekend and came home just before the baptism and didn't have time to make anything so I went to the store and bought some...I should have just gone empty--handed but I would have felt guilty...okay sorry, that was my ADHD tangent...anyway, when I pulled into my spot I hit the car next to me with my passenger side bumper. It left a big white scratch on their car and a dent and scratched up my nearly-new bumber as well. But DUH, what did I expect?!? I was being punished for my transgressions! Anyway, I got my cookies and you wanna know what my total was??? $6.66...at that moment I just thought the Wal-Mart ceiling would open up and lightening would strike me down! Hahaha...so crazy that that was my total at that particular instance. Okay, ANYWAY (I know this is dragging on) I left a note on the car window telling them that I was SOOOO sorry for hitting their car and to please call me so that we could exchange information. Well you know what? They never called. It was nearly a month ago and I haven't heard anything, so I'm guessing I never will. While I know that I shouldn't have been at the store on Sunday, I am grateful for this little blessing.
_________________________________
Story #2: Saturday afternoon I was at El Fenix over in some part of Dallas that I didn't really know where I was...I think it was like Oak Cliff. I was with my parents and sister and brother-in-law. When we all pulled into the parking lot I parked next to Matt and Tiffany and they got out of their car and quickly came over to help me get my kids out of my car. I was too busy jamming to Sarah Barellis at the time and shirking my motherly duty. But they were trying to be helpful. Tiffany had Will's door open getting him out when the fierce wind (remember Saturday, it was darn windy!) flung the door out, hitting the car next to me and breaking its tail light. Poor Tiff got so upset and was crying because she felt so badly but I wasn't even worried. Accidents happen after all, I should know! I left another note on their car window and we proceeded inside to eat our lunch. I got a call from the man the next day and he left me a message telling me he appreciated that I left a note and that he called the Mazda dealership and the price for the light was $179.09. I called back and left him a message telling him I'd send a check to him in the mail. Then the wife called me back Sunday night and again told me that she appreciated me leaving a note, that many people would have just driven away. I told her that I know a lot of people would have done that but I'm just not that kind of girl. I asked for her address and told her I'd get the check in the mail the next day. She gave me her address and then told me her name was Lynn Moon. I told her, "My husband works with a lady named Lynn Moon." She said, "Oh my gosh are you Nathan Dickinson's wife?" I said, "Yes I am!" What a SMALL WORLD!!! So she told me that she'd just talk to Nathan on Monday morning. Today I was talking to Nathan and he told me that Lynn told him that since it was US that hit their car, her husband went to the junk yard and got a tail light for $40!! Nathan happily paid her and that was the end of that.
______________________________________________________________
I feel grateful that my decisions to stay honest in my dealings with my fellow man pay off in these small but very meaningful ways. I hope that I am teaching my children to be honest in their daily lives as well. It's just the best way to be.

6 comments:

ryan and danielle said...

awww see god forgave you for transgressing on sunday by only charging you 40 bucks. hahahaha. good job on staying honest sister! it obviously pays!!

HAVING THE TIME OF MY LIFE....... said...

That is an amazing story. Kristi seriously that is amazing!....you are totally setting a great example. you seriously need to send the 2nd story into the church news/mag..that i know would be published!

Eric said...

That's funny! I'm proud of you for leaving notes both times!

taryn said...

Good for you! Its so hard to leave those notes sometimes, but gosh, it sure does show a lot about character!

I remember one time at the grocery store when I was with my mom, after being checked out she was looking over the receipt because she expected the total to be more. She realized that we had not been charged for something and told me and I was all excited like "YES, we got something for free!" She went back and paid for the item, and taught me a really valuable lesson without having to even say anything! Just had to share my own experience without being asked :) I seem to do that a lot, sorry! My point was that you are teaching your kids some good values!

S+S said...

good stories, i must say.

stef j. said...

did i really not comment?? i swear i commented on this ...

anyways, LOVED these stories. i'm the same way, HAVE to leave a note.