Sunday, March 8, 2009

I'm A Domestic Goddess

So if you know me well then you know that I do not cook dinner that often and I don't bake at all...unless it's a cake for my kids' birthday. I enjoy cooking but I guess I'm just lazy. I keep a clean house, clean kids, clean yard, get all the bills paid each month, I'm pretty punctual for the most part; but cooking is just a habit I never developed. I am here to tell you though that I am a changed woman! In an effort to create more structure within our family which will in turn reap better attitudes and happier family members, I have implemented a strict schedule! Well not really strict, but a schedule nonetheless. Every day this week I cooked dinner and boy was it fun! On Monday I made chicken tortilla soup, Tuesday I made meatloaf "muffins" (meatloaf cooked in a muffin tin; SUPER easy), Wednesday I cleaned out the freezer and cooked all the half open boxes of frozen goods (not really cooking I know), Thursday we had tacos and Friday Nathan and Chandler headed out on a weekend camping trip so I didn't really make a meal.
I know that most of you are probably laughing at me, especially those that cook every night, but for me this has been semi-life changing! I feel great that I am helping my family eat healthier, that we are having our meal around our dining room table where we can talk and share stories from our day instead of sitting around a loud restaurant table, and that I am creating more structure and routine within the home.
On Thursday night I even made banana bread! Call the presses people, this is big news! I've never attempted to bake anything besides brownies from the box, cake from the box or chocolate chip and sugar cookies. This was a huge leap for me! And let me tell you, it was fun and easy and awesome! I got this recipe from allrecipes.com (great website by the way, my friend Elaine told me about it...thanks Elaine ;) ) It took about 10 minutes to prepare and an hour to bake. I felt like June Cleaver that night! Then on Friday I made chocolate chip cookies and sent the cookies and bread with Chandler and Nathan on their camping trip. I felt like such a good little wifey!
I am on a roll here folks (pardon the pun haha). I can't wait to see what my menu will be this week. :)

My banana bread...yum. Well I hope it was yum, I didn't actually eat it. I'll let you know what the boys thought.

6 comments:

ryan and danielle said...

o man! you are on a much better roll than i am! that was one of my new years resolutions: cook at least 3 times a week.....and lets just say my cooking still consists of things in cans/boxes. haaha. good job! your family will love the memories you make around the dinner table!

HAVING THE TIME OF MY LIFE....... said...

We all have our time and season for everything. There is a learning process and desire process...who would have thought I would get a "natural high" on coupons but because of it I am finally getting my 3 month supply accomplished sooner than 3 months! So proud of you kristi...and the banana bread looked awesome!

caroline said...

I guess it's all about what makes you tick. My house isn't so clean, and I'm not so punctual but I HAVE to cook dinner everyday or I get frustrated, partly because I LOVE to cook and then I love to eat it and I love the time it gives our family to talk about the day :) Keep it up girl! you ARE a domestic goddess!!!

stef j. said...

i'm SO with you. clean house: check. bills paid: check. budget updated: check. yard ... well, don't have a yard.

cooking? cook what? huh?

yah, i wish i cooked. i'm working on it. i think i'll follow your example. schedules ROCK!

Eric said...

Way to go! Cooking does give you a sense of accomplishment and makes you feel like you are doing what a mom is supposed to, but I don't love it either. Keep it up! I'm sure you're right...the benefits far out weigh the cons.

S+S said...

you must have spent a fortune on eating out! That's one great benefit of stay in the home for dinner--meals are pretty inexpensive.